Every year, the citizens of Ripon look forward to the annual Almond Blossom Festival during the last full weekend of February. The beautiful almond blossoms are in full bloom, and families are ready to have some fun! Many families want a beautiful almond blossom family portrait during this time to treasure forever as well.
Whether you’re from the area or thinking of visiting during the festival, I hope you find my round-up of the top 8 must-attend Almond Blossom Festival events helpful.
Top 8 Almond Blossom Festival Events
- Miss Almond Blossom Fashion Show – This amazing event is actually prior to the Almond Blossom Festival, but it’s one you should definitely attend! This event is usually held a week or so before the coronation. Not only is this how you can support the Annual Almond Blossom Queen, but it’s a way to meet that year’s Almond Blossom Grand Marshall! Each year, the committee chooses an organization to be Grand Marshall, and the festival’s overall theme comes from the organization’s values and ideals.
2. Miss Almond Blossom Coronation – The first night of the festival is when we crown the new Miss Almond Blossom/Miss Ripon. All young ladies in their junior year of high school and currently living in Ripon are able to participate in the Miss Almond Blossom competition. It’s truly inspiring to get to meet these ladies and see their gifts at work. These ladies are judged in several different areas including; speech contest, fashion show, raffle ticket sales, essay writing, parade appearances, and even more. They are all amazing, but it’s a lot of fun to meet the winner as she becomes Miss Ripon for the following year!
3. Lions Club Spaghetti Dinner – If you’re looking for a meal before the Miss Almond Blossom Coronation, check out the Lion’s Club Spaghetti Dinner. This event takes place at the community center right before the coronation. The dinner helps fundraise for things such as scholarships for Miss Ripon.
4. Almond Blossom Bake Off – The ABF Bake Off is such a great way that our community honors our almond industry! The baked goods can be anything but must be almond-based. This event usually takes place on the Thursday of the festival, and all entries will be added to a cookbook that’s available to purchase after the festival, so you get to try these treats at home! Sometimes area churches participate in bake sales as well.
5. ABF Carnival – I don’t know about you, but by the end of February, I am ready to get out and have some fun with my family. And, the ABF Carnival is the perfect opportunity! Head on down to Mistlin Sports Park at 1201 River Road, Ripon, CA 95366 for lots of fun for all ages. There are rides and activities for all ages!
6. ABF Vendor Fair – The ABF Vendor Fair is held at Mistlin Sports Park right near the carnival. This lovely event features all sorts of businesses, including; local shops, restaurants, organizations, and more. There are fun vendors and food trucks along with live music. If someone in your family isn’t interested in a carnival atmosphere, they will definitely enjoy the vendor booths and live music featuring local groups. You’ll definitely want to check it out!
7. Diaper Derby – Ready, set, crawl! I have to admit that this event is hilarious! The Annual Diaper Derby is for children under 12 months who are crawling, but not yet walking to compete against each other in the cutest race ever. I love seeing the parents cheer on their six-month-old (or so) and trying to get them to crawl faster. It is even funnier when their sweet babe crawls the wrong way or simply sits there. The coveted prize is bragging rights for life!
8. Parade – Who doesn’t love a parade? The parade usually takes place on the Saturday of the Almond Blossom Festival. Families can enjoy watching beautiful and creative floats from every sort of organization along with trucks, classic cars, and, of course, our Miss Almond Blossom contestants. Ripon Christian has a tri-tip sandwich booth and a sale with good food to enjoy if you’re hungry during the parade.
Almond Blossom Festival Photography Sponsor
As the Almond Blossom Festival photographer, I get a front-row seat to all these amazing events! I love being part of and serving the Ripon community with my photography services, so it’s only fitting that I am the one capturing the festival through photos. I hope you can attend the Almond Blossom Festival and enjoy these splendid events.
If you’re looking for a family, children, or senior photographer, I invite you to learn more about my Ripon photography experience here.